Thursday, June 7, 2007

MEME: Booking Through Thursday


Booking Through Thursday
Almost everyone can name at least one author that you would love just ONE more book from. Either because they’re dead, not being published any more, not writing more, not producing new work for whatever reason . . . or they’ve aged and aren’t writing to their old standards any more . . . For whatever reason, there just hasn’t been anything new (or worth reading) of theirs and isn’t likely to be.
If you could have just ONE more book from an author you love . . . a book that would be as good any of their best (while we’re dreaming) . . . something that would round out a series, or finish their last work, or just be something NEW . . . Who would the author be, and why? Jane Austen? Shakespeare? Laurie Colwin? Kurt Vonnegut?

Isn't there a prequel that's been written for Anne of Green Gables? Of Anne's life before she came to PEI? If that had been written by LM Montgomery that would be so excellent.

My first thought was Montgomery, and then I thought of Maeve Binchy, because I really love her books; similar in many ways to Montgomery, not surprisingly. Now that I've covered my bases, and answered several authors, I'll change my mind and pick Harper Lee. To Kill a Mockingbird is such a great book, it's too bad she never wrote anymore. She's still alive, but never published another book. The literary world is at a loss for that.

6 comments:

  1. I've just bought Anne of Green Gables and haven't started reading. There are just so many good books around. LOL.

    Yeah, too bad there's no more after TKAM, I'd try to locate Lee's other writings as found in Wikipedia.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Totally agree with Harper Lee. I've always wondered why To Kill a Mockingbird was the only story she had to tell! It's probably my very favorite book.

    Shame on me...but I've never read Anne of Green Gables. Is that bad??

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the Anne of Green Gables books and have now shared them with my DD, who enjoys them as well. The true test of good books!

    ReplyDelete
  4. In my post I said I'd think of more authors after I switched off the computer, and sure enough within a quarter hour I realised I'd forgotten L.M. Montgomery. I've read almost all her books and would love it if there were more.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am about to read "To Kill a Mockingbird" myself for the first time (I know, I know), but judging by how well-beloved that book is, it read is a shame she didn't write any more books.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Carol Shields! This American-born Canadian died of breast cancer far too young. What a wonderful writer.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting, so nice of you to visit.

(I'll try without the letters for a while - so please dont be a spammer! Let's try no anonymous users)