Wednesday, October 31, 2007

UPDATE: RIP II challenge completed

RIP II successfully completed, and what a great challenge it was. My goal was to read 4 books and Fragile Things

The beauty of a challenge is sometimes you find a book you weren't planning, and it turns into a great read. And then Carl sprung some mid-challenge challenges in the middle which completely changed what was originally planned. I read 3 of the books I originally listed, and just didn't get to The Historian, but I made up for that by reading Colleen Gleason's vampire books, the Gardella Vampire Chronicles, which was one of Carl's surprise contests.
The books I read during the past two months that fit into this challenge include the following:

Among the Shadows by LM Montgomery
The Thirteenth Tale by Diane Seterfield
Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman
The Rest Falls Away by Colleen Gleason
Never Let Me Go by Kazou Ishiguro
The Road by Cormac McCarthy
Everything's Eventual by Stephen King
Rises the Night by Colleen Gleason
and then The Additional Peril: Fragile Things by Neil Gaiman

What a great bunch of books!

Favorite books: Never Let Me Go, Neverwhere, and The Road
Short Story collections: Among the Shadows, Everything's Eventual and Fragile Things
Vampire Series: The Gardella Vampire Chronicles, and looking forward to the third book

So thank you to Carl for hosting, and having my poppet, Christie arrive during the RIP II challenge, it seemed perfect. Can't wait for next year, because I still have some more creepy books to read, and it is fun to get into the Halloween mood.

4 comments:

  1. That's an impressive list!

    I didn't know L. M. Montgomery had written any scary stories... I might have to check that out. I reread her books a lot when I was younger. Was it good?

    I've read the Gaiman from your list, and "The Thirteenth Tale", but nothing else... how did you find Fragile Things?

    kicking_k

    ReplyDelete
  2. k - LM's book isn't really scary, just darker than her usual stuff, but I always love her books. Fragile Things? was good, but I prefered King's collection. I really liked the Shadow story though.
    I thought the same about your list - hadn't read, and barely heard of, any of your books.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, Melissa you really did read a lot of books for this challenge. Good for you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great list!! I loved Fragile Things and The Rest Falls Away (I read both for this challenge). I also loved Isiguro's Never Let Me Go, which I read last year. Such a wonderfully strange book!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting, so nice of you to visit.

(I'll try without the letters for a while - so please dont be a spammer! Let's try no anonymous users)