Sunday, August 17, 2008

BOOK: Confessions of a Jane Austen Addict by Laurie Viera Rigler

Confessions of a Jane Austen Addict by Laurie Viera Rigler

Have you ever imagined living in Jane Austen's era? Having servants, visiting, partaking in witty conversations? What about the bad teeth, smelly people, the rigid conventions and roles for women?

Courtney, who recently discovered her fiance having an affair, suddenly wakes up in Jane Mansfield's body in 1814. Courtney is a bit of a Jane Austen addict, she retreats to Pride and Prejudice when real life gets to be too much. She isn't too bothered by the fact of landing in Regency England with a similar mother and similar bad lovelife, and just rolls along with what her new life gives her. She has a potential husband, a loyal friend, and parties galore, also a domineering mother, no power, and no memories. She has practically landed in a Jane Austen novel.

Rigler writes a great romp for Austen fans and others as well. It's great chick lit and escapism and she manages to pull off the unreal situation surprisingly well, using something about the fluidity of time.

6 comments:

  1. Too bad she didn't have Jayne with a y Mansfield's body -she's probably have her choice of beaus.

    The book sounds good though! I love Jane Austen and time travel.

    ReplyDelete
  2. carrie - the name thing gets mentioned! I think it was more Jane Austen and Mansfield Park
    If you like Austen and time travel, you would like this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How fun!! I may have to pick this one up. I am in need of something light!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi there, and thanks for putting out the word on my book. Happy you enjoyed it. And what a cool, book-loving blog this is. Think I will have to add it to the Jane's Addictions page of my site...

    ReplyDelete
  5. stephanie - It's lots of fun for Jane Austen fans, I hope you enjoy it.

    laurie - thank you for stopping by and commenting. A friend recommended the book to me as she loved it and she seldom steers me wrong. I'll come by and check out your site.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice review! Sounds like a fun book.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting, so nice of you to visit.

(I'll try without the letters for a while - so please dont be a spammer! Let's try no anonymous users)