Saturday, August 29, 2009

MEME: Canadian Reading

I didn't get this meme posted at the beginning of the 3rd Canadian Book Challenge, but better late than never. I only have 3 more books to finish up this challenge, because it is just so easy to read Canadian books. Here's my Canadian Reading Meme - any of these your favorites too?





Your Favourites:

1. Favourite Canadian author?
LM Montgomery, Gordon Korman, Douglas Coupland

2. Favourite Canadian novel?
has to be the Anne series, with Rilla of Ingleside as one of my favorite of that series.

3. Favourite Canadian nonfiction?
-Owls in the Family by Farley Mowatt is a memoirish book that might be considered nonfiction
-Terry Fox by Douglas Coupland

4. Favourite Canadian picture book?
There Were Monkeys in My Kitchen by Sheree Fitch

5. Favourite Canadian YA or juvenile chapter book?
I Want to Go Home by Gordon Korman

6. Favourite Canadian science fiction or fantasy book?
don't think I've read any

7. Favourite Canadian romantic fiction?
The Gargoyle by Andrew Davidson

8. Favourite Canadian mystery?
Still Life by Louise Penny

9. Favourite Canadian graphic novel?
don't know any

10. Favourite Canadian book blog?
I shouldn't pick favorites, but:
The Book Mine Set, Book-a-Rama, the Tiny Little Reading Room, Virginie Says...,

11. Favourite Canadian fictional character?
Anne Shirley of Green Gables

12. Favourite movie based on a Canadian novel or story?
Margaret's Museum, based on the short story "The Glace Bay Miner's Museum" by Sheldon Currie

13. Favourite Canadian short story?
"Dave Cooks the Turkey" by Stuart MacLean

14. Favourite Canadian poet?
Sheree Fitch

15. Favourite Canadian poem?
Alligator Pie by Dennis Lee

16. Favorite Canadian play?
Blue Castle based on the book by LM Montgomery

17. Favourite novel by an established Canadian author?
The Apprenticeship of Duddy Kravitz by Mordecai Richler

18. Favourite novel by an up-and-coming Canadian author?
Crow Lake by Mary Lawson (I don't know if she's considered up and coming, but she's only written 2 books)

19. Favourite Canadian book award?
the Giller

20. Favourite Canadian publisher?
Random House Canada because they send me review books, and Acorn Press on PEI because they publish local books

21. Favourite Canadian humorous book?
The Bachelor Brothers Bed and Breakfast by Bill Richardson

22. Favourite Canadian newspaper?
the Guardian - it covers the Island like the dew

23. Favourite Canadian magazine or journal?
Canadian Living

24. Favourite Canadian dystopian novel?

The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood but I haven't read Girlfriend in a Coma by Douglas Coupland yet, and it has great potential of bumping Margaret. I read Handmaid's Tale a long time ago.

25. Favourite Canadian epistolary novel?
Clara Callen by Richard B Wright, A Celibate Season by Carol Shields

5 comments:

  1. <3<3<3 for Douglas Coupland & L.M. Montgomery!

    (I have "O Canada" stuck in my head now. :P)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on being so far along on this challenge. You totally rock Canada!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, you are nearly done?? Impressive! I think I like "Polly Anderson's Christmas Party" even more than "Dave cooks the turkey"...but we have a lot of similar answers here. Long live Lucy Maud! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. jenny - I know! I need to read a Coupland, it's been a while.
    There is an awesome song Oh Canada, by a rapper called Classified. It rocks!

    bybee - it's time for you to get started, right? enjoy, you've got a great list of books to read.

    melanie - I have a hard-bound copy of Dave Cooks the Turkey that I bring out at Christmas, so it's a story that I identify as a real book. I enjoy Polly Anderson as well, and I didn't even mention Alistair MacLeod's book of short stories.
    I could have answered everything with Maud, but I tried to spread the love:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for saying I'm one of your fave Canadian blogs! Very cool!

    xo
    Virginie

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting, so nice of you to visit.

(I'll try without the letters for a while - so please dont be a spammer! Let's try no anonymous users)