Sunday, May 8, 2011

MEME: One Book, Two Book, Three Book, Four.... and Five

I aw this meme around a few places this weekend, most recently at Lizzy's Literary Life. I guess it started at Stuck in a Book. (I have recently discovered that I can copy a link location in the 'right click' menu. I used to follow the link and then copy from the address bar. I'm sure I'm the last person to figure this out, but it has made linking posts sooo much easier.)

1) The Book I am currently reading
 I've been reading The True Story of the Kelly Gang by Peter Carey, and now have just started Tigerlily's Orchids by Ruth Rendall.


2)  The Book I finished last
 I just finished Bannock, Beans and Black Tea by John Gallant, an  memoir of an Islander from the 1930s that will give you an idea of life on PEI that is not much like Anne of Green Gables. It put me to mind of books I've read set in Ireland,  like Angela's Ashes. When people in the Depression say they were poor, they were really poor. No social assistance, no help of any kind.The title refers to the most common meal, when they had one. I liked recognizing the locations, as I live about a forty minute drive from the setting of this book. It was called a graphic novel on library thing, but it was mostly just written stories, with a few pictures drawn in. I'm hoping to get my kids to read this book, to maybe have them appreciate what all they take for granted.

3) The Next Book I want to read
A mystery of some sort - probably The Devil's Whisper by Miyuke Miyabe

4) The Last Book I bought:
Isaac Newton by James Gleik. I teach about Newton everyday - I should learn more about his history. I'm looking forward to reading about his feud with Robert Hooke. That's the kind of stuff that makes some of the scientific names come alive.

5.) The last book I was given: 
The Music of Pythagoras by Kitty Ferguson was lent to me by a student, so I have until the end of June to get this one read. I'm always pleased to share reading ideas and books with my students.