Thursday, July 14, 2011

BLOGGING: It's Tuesday, Where Are You?


 It's been a while since we've played this meme, but luckily nearly every book has a setting of some kind. So, inquiring minds want to know - Where is reading taking you today?

Since it is Paris in July, I thought it was time to head to Paris, so I am in Paris in the 1700s, as Antoine Lavoisier is beginning his scientific career. He's known for a few things, most notably his experiments and discovery of oxygen and hydrogen and his understanding of conservation of mass.  But, as all good nonfiction should do, I've also learned he was a major developer of the metric system. I love the metric system! I love it so much, I show my physics class this video every year:




Back to Lavoisier. Not to give anything away, but since it is around the Revolution, and he is nobility, it doesn't look good for him.

I am reading Lavoisier in the Year One: The Birth of a New Science in an Age of Revolution by Madison Smartt Bell from the Great Discoveries series.

Where is reading taking you today? Leave a comment or write a post. Spread the word.