Monday, November 11, 2013

UPDATE: September reads




Since my last update:
Well, my last 'update' or post was the end of August. Yikes! My reading actually hasn't been that great. In September I read:

63. Mr Churchill's Secretary - Susan Elia MacNeal (audiobook)
Plucky American, with British background (secrets abound!) begins work in Churchill's office. Her smarts (math major at MIT) get her involved in espionage and multiple mysteries. I'll try another.

64. Death Angels - Ake Edwardson
Scandi-crime mystery set in Sweden. It was good? but so long ago now that details are fuzzy.

65. Transatlantic - Colum Mccann
Interesting book with several seemingly unconnected narratives that came together rather coolly in the end. Most were based on true events to some extent, but I don't imagine were so connected in real life.

66. The Savage Garden - Mark Mills
I read this one for my Book Club. It was an okay mystery, set in 1950s Italy, but there was a mystery from the 1700s as well. We were split on it - one loved it, one liked, but two of us were not as impressed. Could have been better use of the two mysteries - maybe a parallel telling? Plus, the use of the word Velcro took me right out of the story and to Wikipedia to check for an anachronism. It worked, but barely.

67. The Treatment - Mo Hayder (audiobook)
Oh, Jack Caffrey, I'm quite liking you. Also, the way the narrator said 'Jack' is quite stuck in my brain. Mo Hayder pushes the limits of my squeamishness, but Jack Caffrey is a wonderfully flawed hero. More please.

The best of September was definitely The Treatment.
I'll save October reads for next week's update.

Other than books and reading:
We are planning to sell our house and buy my parent's house (same neighbourhood, but larger and newer home) so have been oh so busy getting our house ready to sell (decluttering 18 years worth of living in this house) and helping my parents move. My mother broke her ankle in the middle of all this, so even more to do. Plus my own kids and their sports (softball, field hockey, ringette, volleyball were the fall sports) and working full time. Add an unhealthy interest in stupid Facebook games and I am actually amazed I even read as much as I did.

Chrisbookarama wrote a great post today about Commenting and Book Blogging. I'm guilty as well, and haven't even been blogging. Her post, as well as those who post these weekend update type of posts (suziqoregon and sueysays) have inspired me to at least try an update once a week. Hopefully, I'll be back next week. Good to see you all again.