Tuesday, July 14, 2015

TOP TEN TUESDAY: Last Ten Books That Came Into My Possession

 



 The topic this week for Top Ten Tuesday hosted at The Broke and the Bookish is Last Ten Books That Came Into My Possession. Two audiobooks each week from YA Sync is taking up the majority of the last books entering my home.



 The Journey by Katherine Lasky (bought, 2nd hand store)
 Youngest daughter, 12, decided to read the Guardians of Ga'hoole by Kathryn Lasky after finishing all the Dear Canada books. We checked the library and the second book, The Journey was unavailable. They only had one copy and it had been boxed up at a library undergoing renovations. We checked out the used book stores and got lucky at the second one.



 

Dark Fire by CJ Sansom (library)
Grabbed this at the library even though I don't need library books. It's been a while since I've read the first in this series.

The Explorer's Club by Nell Benjamin (YA Sync audiobook)
Listened to this already - a two hour full cast production of the play. Reminded me of The Importance of Being Ernest with the absurd British Victorian humour.
 
Around the World in 80 Days by Jules Verne (YA Sync audiobook)
Last year there was Time Machine which I never got listened to. After The Explorer's Club, this will be perfect. I like how Sync matches up a classic with a modern book.

Hush Hush by Laura Lippman (book club book, borrowed from library kit)
Do all libraries have book club kits you can borrow? My little book club only reads books we can get through the library. Although it's the 12th in the Tess Monaghan series, it reads pretty easily so far, but I may have a new series to read.

Dept. of Speculation by Jenny Offill (borrowed, sister's audio library online in another city)
Another short one, I waited 4 months for this and listened to it in one night. 

Orphan Train by Cristina Baker Kline (borrowed, school library)
I grabbed this before my teacher friend could return it to the school library. This was the only book I borrowed from our school library for the summer - I was restrained!

Lord of the Flies by William Golding (YA Sync audiobook)
Hoping this goes much better than it originally did in grade ten. I think I'm ready for it!

 Monster by Walter Dean Myers (YA Sync audiobook)
The second Walter Dean Myers book this summer. Also very short, about a 16 year old on trial for murder.

Rose Under Fire by Elizabeth Wein (YA Sync audiobook)
Part of the Code Name Verity series, I recently listened to Code Name Verity leftover from last summer, so I am ready for Rose.