Tuesday, August 22, 2017

TOP TEN TUESDAY: Back to School Freebie (Classics I Want to Read)


Listing the classics I've loved, and hated, last week got me thinking about what classics I still want to read. The definition of classic is always tricky. To me, it's a book from a long time ago, more than fifty, that is still considered a book that should be read. Fifty seems old, but now it's as old as me!
I started this list before I realized that Top Ten Tuesday was back. So, let's call this Classics I Wish I'd Read in School.

The Diviners by Margaret Laurence (1974)
The first book I list deviates from my own criteria! But I've enjoyed Laurence's Manawaka's cycle books and this is the most famous one. I've been saving it for the end. I wish we'd read more Canadian books while I was in school.


By the Pricking of My Thumb by Agatha Christie (1968)
All Agatha Christie books count as classics in my mind, and I picked this fourth Tommy and Tuppence book up at a yard sale a while ago. I love how the short (4) T&T series has the couple age from young to old.

Les Miserables by Victor Hugo (1862)
I started this book years ago at a site that was posting a chapter a day and got along okay, but then I hit my Waterloo, which was the battle of Waterloo. Is that where that phrase comes from - reading Les Miserables and hitting the background of the battle scenes? Once I finish Les Miserables, then I can watch the movie!

The Count of Monte Cristo by Alexandre Dumas (1844)
This is supposed to be a great read, lots of adventure! It's a large one which makes it hard to pick up.

Metamorphosis by Franz Kafka (1915)
This is one of those books whose lore is entrenched in popular culture. It was a YA Sync free audiobooks this summer and is quite short. I'm looking forward to listening to it.

Rebecca by Daphne duMaurier (1938)
I really can't wait to read a duMaurier! I'm not even sure why I haven't got around to it yet, but I am determined to get to this soon. Sounds like a good fall book.

Emma (1816) or Sense and Sensibility (1811) by Jane Austen
I'd still like to try another couple Austen's having only read Pride and Prejudice and Northanger Abbey. Plus there are movie versions to watch as well.

The Angle of Repose by Wallace Stegner (1974)
Not quite fifty years old, but this is one that gets glowing reviews amongst book bloggers so it is always on my to be eventually read.

Great Expectations by Charles Dickens (1861)
I expect I'd rather listen to Great Expectations, but it is so long. I may just end up watching the PBS movie that I've got saved on my DVR. I haven't read any of Dickens' long epic novels.






3 comments:

  1. I did have to read The Metamorphosis in school and am kind of glad I did. It was one that I needed help interpreting. :-) I didn't read any of the others on your list as required reading, although I did read Emma ony own. I had started Leslie Miserable one summer between college years, and was really enjoying it, but had to set it aside once school started up again. I never went back. I would really like to start on that one again. I hadn't heard of Rebecca until I started blogging, can you believe it? I really want to read that one.

    Thank you for sharing this great list! Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wendy - it's true that sometimes it helps to read in school to understand. I'd put Animal Farm in that category for me. I would have hated it had I read it on my own, but it was fascinating once analyzed and explained.

      We'll get to Rebecca one day!

      Delete
  2. Comment from sprite that got deleted:

    I think you will like Rebecca. It fits well with some of the mysteries you seems to enjoy, and would probably make a fantastic read in October or November.

    Great Expectations is fine, although I think Jasper Fforde's Miss Havisham is far more interesting than Dickens' (blasphemy!). Have you read A Tale of Two Cities? I think that's my favorite of Dickens' work that I've read to date.

    I enjoyed Sense & Sensibility more than Emma, but both are good, as are many of the film adaptations.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting, so nice of you to visit.

(I'll try without the letters for a while - so please dont be a spammer! Let's try no anonymous users)