Thursday, September 17, 2009

BBAW: Thanks for the Rec


Today is the day to thank someone for a book recommendation that without the blogs, we wouldn't have know about. It's hard to remember lots of times where the idea for a book first came from, but I do remember one: Miss Leavitt's Stars by George Johnson. Well over a year ago, Melanie at The Indextrious Reader, reviewed Miss Leavitt's Stars. I like reading astronomy books and about women in science, so I quickly starred in in my google reader. Are you like me, and often forget to go back and read the items you've starred? Good to know I'm not the only one.

Then this summer, she reviewed another book in that series of science books, A Force of Nature: Ernest Rutherford. Her latest review reminded me about Miss Leavitt, which I found still starred in my google reader, so I requested it at the library and read it. It was very good and I can't wait to read about Rutherford and I have Melanie to thank for all these science "Great Discoveries" books.

4 comments:

  1. Interesting choices, Raidergirl. My blogs TBH (to be hopped) and books TBR have grown astronomically since BBAW!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ooooo! I want this book now. Thanks so much for highlighting it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's why I've started a journal with books and the bloggers who recommended them to me! lol now the journal is filling up! but at least I can keep track of who to blame (basically everyone sooner or later)....I like the sound of the book you recommend though. one of my secret desires growing up was to be an astronomer. See? another book already added to the list....thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have trouble remembering who recommended what too. I like Susan's idea of keeping track in a journal. Since I already have a reading journal, I really should try and note it down there. Unfortunately, I'm good at keeping that up for a short while, but I soon forget again.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting, so nice of you to visit.

(I'll try without the letters for a while - so please dont be a spammer! Let's try no anonymous users)