Sunday, January 24, 2016

BOOK: The Disreputable History of Frankie Landau-Banks by E Lockhart

It's the return of a (very) old post I've done before: Books and Authors I Can't Tell Apart

here, and here and here.  (wow. This is the third time I've included Frankie Landau Banks in my confusions. I'm glad I finally read this book!)

 This time it's authors I'm mixing up:        E Lockhart  and   AS King

Usually once I read an author/the books, I don't get them mixed up anymore. But these two!

Both write exceptionally good young adult books.
E Lockhart - We Were Liars, The Disreputable History of Frankie Landua-Banks
AS King - Reality Boy, Ask the Passengers

Both are women.

Both have initials! That are vowels!

I've now read two books by each and I've really enjoyed all of them. They both seem to write a little more than the standard YA fare. And I think I will forever tie these two authors and their books into the same neat package of  'I really like her writing and her books!'

Here's a review of the latest book I've read, by E Lockhart.


The Disreputable History of Frankie Landua-Banks by E Lockhart, 352 pages

Starting at the end, then backtracking to the start, the third person narration is so closely connected to Frankie that I was sure (after the fact) that I had been reading her diaries. Actually, you can practically hear the narration laid over a movie screenplay to move along the story, with foreshadowing like - This will be important later. The book starts with Frankie's confession of her Disreputable History, then tells what led to that point. Frankie attends a rich boarding school that has been co-ed for a large number of years, but not forever. That's important. She's at the age where she is beginning to question traditions and women's roles, and the double standards that are inevitably in play.

When second year Frankie begins dating the cool senior, she gets into the gang that runs things. But the super secret boys club (of which her father has spoken and was a member) begins to rankle. She knows about it, but her boyfriend doesn't tell, or include her. She finds a way to control the club and make some social progress at the same time. Alas, her efforts are not recognized (the boys take the credit) or appreciated as anything other than pranks. Then things go too far.

Frankie was such a strong, smart character who, while a teenager in love, also was not willing to sacrifice her values or her self for her boyfriend. Also a stupid teenager doing stupid things once the power got to her. Lockhart includes some philosophy and sociology ideas (just like King did in Ask the Passengers. Stop it, you two!)

I really liked this book. Frankie was a great character, not perfect in motives but strong in her self.