Thursday, February 11, 2016

TBT:LIST: New Books March 22, 2009


I found a list of books I must have bought at a used book sale from 2009. Let's see how well I've done reading books I bought for myself:



The Tipping Point by Malcolm Gladwell  4 stars
Read it, loved it. Read other books by Gladwell since then as well.

The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins 4.5 stars
Originally published in fall 2008, I bought this new, and read it and loved it from the start. It's one of the few series I read as it was released, along with my son, who is now in university.

The Oxford Murders by Guillermo Martinez  
I have started this one more than once and although the plot description should appeal, the actual reading never does.

Women in the Wall by Julia O'Faolain
A Virago Modern Classic, hasn't been read yet. When I organize my books, I always think I still want to read it, but never move it into a place where I'll pick it up.

The Land of Spices by Kate O'Brien
Another Virago Modern Classic. See above

His Master's Voice by Ivy Litvonov
Another Virago Modern Classic. If I ever start reading the VMC, I'll want to have a few. They are so pretty, and easy to find at used books sales with their distinctive dark green band, I've stockpiled a few. But haven't read any yet.

The Reader by Bernhard Schlink   3.5 Stars
Disturbing Germany WW2 era book. I haven't seen the movie either

Clara Callen by Richard B Wright  4.5 stars
I loved this book! I haven't been as successful with other Wright novels (Age of Longing, October) but I keep trying. This may have been his masterpiece.

Sushi for Beginners by Marion Keyes
I thought I had read it, but I read Watermelon by Marion Keyes instead. It still looks good, but it is very long and the size is what always stops me from picking it up.

Bethlehem Road by Anne Perry  4 stars
Read it. Book number 10 in the Charlotte and Thomas Pitt Victorian mystery series, they all blend together into a wonderful series, with indistinguishable plots.

Elijah of Buxton by Christopher Paul Curtis
This is a children's book that I have not read yet. I might have bought this for my son?

Where the Red Fern Grows by Wilson Rawls
Here's the one I feel I am most likely to still read. Classic children's book

That's a 5/12, plus one I've tried.