Sunday, March 4, 2012

BOOK: The Talented Mr Ripley by Patricia Highsmith

The Talented Mr Ripley by Patricia Highsmith, 290 pages

Venice in February

I know, the movie is really good. Matt Damon and Jude Law? I will watch is someday. But for now, I read the book, practically a classic, right? It was very good. Taking the perspective of Tom Ripley and his dastardly mind gives a view of a very warped, self-centered person. Tom gets sent to Europe to try and bring Dickie Greenleaf back home to his rich parents. Tom gets caught up in the lifestyle and his selfishness leads to some very bad decisions.

My only complaint was that I knew there were more Ripley books, so clearly he gets away with this episode. The chase of Ripley, and his conniving to get away with everything was very tense. It is challenging for the reader when the main character has few redeeming qualities. The book builds and builds, setting atmosphere, plus, it's Italy. Wonderful.  Ripley spends time in a small village, Sicily, Rome and Venice. The jet-set life is glamorous. I'm glad I've read this classic mystery, and look forward to Highsmith's other famous book, Strangers on a Train.