Sunday, January 4, 2015

BOOK: The Bedwetter by Sarah Silverman

The Bedwetter: Stories of Courage, Redemption, and Pee by Sarah Silverman, 5 h 42 min

Sarah Silverman's memoir is not quite like Tina Fey's or Mindy Kaling's, other famous female comedians, although I associate the books somewhat together in the file sorter of my brain.  (I expect Amy Poehler's Yes, Please will complete that particular trilogy for me, which means I have to listen to her read it.) In fact, the blurb about this book includes a disclaimer quiz with questions such as:


2. Are you offended by the following behavior?
A Instructing one's grandmother to place baked goods in her rectal cavity.
B Stripping naked in public–eleven times in a row.
C Stabbing one's boss in the head with a writing implement.





Sarah Silverman is not for the faint of heart - she's got a real potty mouth and nothing is off limits - she is known as a blue comedian after all. Once that is all out of they way, it's a very Sarah book, read by her and I did enjoy it. If you are not a fan already, I wouldn't recommend this, but for those who find her funny, this was great. She covers some of her career highlights, and controversies, and stories from her childhood. I haven't watched her TV show but I've seen her on stand-up shows, and that Jimmy Kimmel episode with her famous video, "I'm F#2$ing Matt Damon," part of the hilarious on-going feud between Kimmel and Damon. She's all about the shock-value, so be fore-warned. I love her dead-pan delivery.





I recommend it to listen to while putting away all your Christmas decorations. Sarah and her Jewy-ness might appreciate the irony.