Thursday, April 17, 2008

BOOKING THROUGH THURSDAY: Vocabulary

Suggested by Nithin:
I’ve always wondered what other people do when they come across a word/phrase that they’ve never heard before. I mean, do they jot it down on paper so they can look it up later, or do they stop reading to look it up on the dictionary/google it or do they just continue reading and forget about the word?


I just keep going. Very seldom would a word I didn't know stop me in my tracks. I usually have a sense of what the word means, and it usually makes sense in the sentence. The author whose vocabulary stumps me most is Elizabeth George and the Inspector Lynley detective series. I notice words I don't recognize in those books, many in each book.

The only word I've looked up recently was in The Tale of Despereaux, as the author said the reader needed to look up the word 'perfidy', so I did.

3 comments:

Thanks for commenting, so nice of you to visit.

(I'll try without the letters for a while - so please dont be a spammer! Let's try no anonymous users)