Thursday, July 24, 2008

BOOK: Pretties by Scott Westerfeld

Pretties by Scott Westerfeld

End of the World challenge, series

Book two in the dystopian teen series where everyone is beautiful. When people turn sixteen, they finally get the operation to become a 'pretty' and live in the beautiful city and party and just be overall wonderful, because if everyone were beautiful, life would be perfect, right? But Tally Youngblood ran away to the Smoke Town, just before her operation and is now aware that not everyone wants to be pretty and even that there are some side effects. Smoke Town is where some rebels who don't want to be pretty live. The Special Circumstances crew are the people who keep the pretties happy and unquestioning.

This is a great summer read, like getting cotton candy at the exhibition. If you have read a slow, heavy book, maybe some dense 18th century classic or a chunkster and feel like you have fallen behind on your reading lists, pick up a book from this series. You can fly through them and enjoy a little light diversion with some interesting dystopian themes.

The series goes: Uglies, Pretties, Specials, Extras, and they are quite popular with the high school set.

4 comments:

  1. I am hoping to start this series next month for the same challenge. It has had some great reviews and it's good to know it is an easy read as I feel like my reading is seriously slipping at the moment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. rhinoa - I hope you enjoy it. It's pretty easy reading but still makes you think a bit. It would be a great series to kickstart a reading slump.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have Uglies in my TBR. It's been there since last summer, I think. At the speed my TBR grows I'm never gonna read half of what I want to!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great review! I have 'The Uglies' on my TBR already and thanks to you, I added 'The Pretties'.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting, so nice of you to visit.

(I'll try without the letters for a while - so please dont be a spammer! Let's try no anonymous users)