Thursday, July 24, 2008

MEME: Booking Through Thursday: Beginnings

Suggested by: Nithin

Here’s another idea about memorable first lines from books.
What are your favourite first sentences from books? Is there a book that you liked specially because of its first sentence? Or a book, perhaps that you didn’t like but still remember simply because of the first line?

Can't think of any off hand, but this sounds like a good time for a quiz! I googled a bit and found the following. I didn't try all of them, so I can't say you won't get pop-ups at some of them, but here is a start for some time wasters to see how many famous first lines you know:


Famous Opening Lines from MSN

Stephen King Quizzes

BBC News Quiz How Well Read Are You?

Famous First Lines Quiz Help Not a quiz, just a list of famous first lines for trivia nuts to study

UKTV Famous First Lines Quiz

Fiction Writing First Line Quiz

Bibliofemmes Book Quizzes includes a first line quiz, among others.

How well do you know your famouos first lines?

8 comments:

  1. Now I'll have even more online fun to keep me from doing actual work. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was surprised at how many I actually knew--even ones from books I haven't yet read. Thank you for the fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am afraid to take any quiz on lines my memory is horrible. lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fun! I have a feeling I might not score all that well on some of these though.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That was fun! I did really well on most, but I got a 4/10 on one of them. The British always stump me.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting, so nice of you to visit.

(I'll try without the letters for a while - so please dont be a spammer! Let's try no anonymous users)