Tuesday, July 29, 2008

ETC: Man Booker Award Lists

The long list has been announced for the Man Booker Prize, and I'm so surprised to see I've already read two of them - A Fraction of the Whole, and A Case of Exploding Mangoes. Other than the Rushdie, I haven't heard of any other ones. The two books I read I would rate about the same: humorous, longish, well written, but didn't make me rave. Both have good parts but I didn't inhale them. I see my libray has a couple others I can look into: The White Tiger, Child 44, and The Enchantress of Florence. It would be great if those made the shortlist, then I would be guaranteed to have read the winner.

Do you read the Booker long/short list books? Do you pay attention, or even care? The Complete Booker is a long term project where readers try to read all the winners, eventually. I've read nine winners so far, so I have quite a ways to go.

Aravind Adiga The White Tiger August 15/08
Gaynor Arnold Girl in a Blue Dress
Sebastian Barry The Secret Scripture
John Berger From A to X
Michelle de Kretser The Lost Dog
Amitav Ghosh Sea of Poppies
Linda Grant The Clothes on Their Backs
Mohammed Hanif A Case of Exploding Mangoes June 23/08
Philip Hensher The Northern Clemency
Joseph O'Neill Netherland
Salman Rushdie The Enchantress of Florence
Tom Rob Smith Child 44 Sept 28/08
Steve Toltz A Fraction of the Whole July 23/08

Have you read any? What do you recommend?

8 comments:

  1. I do pay attention, but I've usually found I like the runners-up better than the winner.

    That said, I checked out the Barry and the de Kretzer from the library and didn't finish either--they simply didn't grab me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haven't read any of these and have only heard of a handful. I've had pretty good luck with Booker Prize winners before (liking the books, that is). I loved Rushdie's Midnight's Children.

    ReplyDelete
  3. amy - my library didn't have those two yet, but thanks for the heads up in case.

    trish - I tend to like the Bookers too, sometimes the shortlisted ones are even better than the winners. I haven't read The Sea yet, but it beat Arthur and George, and Never Let Me Go and I thought they were both excellent. Do you have any favorites?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really like The Bone People, Atonement, and Midnight's Children. Wait...did Atonement win the Booker? if not, scratch that and add Remains of the Day. :) Ohhhh, and Atwood. Geez, I think I've liked all the ones I've read...

    Any others you'd recommend??

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really liked The Bone People too, and Remains of the Day. Hotel du Lac was cute, and I loved The Life of Pi. Definitely The Life of Pi. I haven't read Midnight's Children, but it's the best of the Bookers, right? Rushdie scares me a bit, I don't know why.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I almost wrote "nah--don't be scared of Rushdie" but I've been kind of hesitant to read his other books as well... Not sure what that means. I read Midnight's Children for a college course a few years ago (along with The Bone People and incidentally Things Fall Apart--it was a post-colonialism course). I really enjoyed it, but I guess it wasn't *light* reading--maybe equivalent to The Bone People?

    Didn't love Life of Pi. eeeks, did I just say that outloud? :) I'll have to put Hotel du Lac on my list!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I would recommend "Child 44" off of the list for this year - loved it!

    Also read "The Enchantress of Florence" and it was ok - worth reading.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I don't read all of them.....actually, not many of them....though my eventual plan is to read all the Bookers that interest me! lol there are some!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting, so nice of you to visit.

(I'll try without the letters for a while - so please dont be a spammer! Let's try no anonymous users)