Friday, February 23, 2007

Freedom to Read Week

I am flabbergasted and, apparently, very naive. There is a site, banned books challenge that is promoting a banned book challenge. The list of books banned or challenged at schools or libraries somewhere is stunning. I am still in shock, and quite proud of the fact, that the last few books I bought for my nine year old to read- and some of his favorite books, are on the list: Harry Potter, Bridge to Terabithia, The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe, How to Eat Fried Worms, and The Indian in the Cupboard.

Also, I am very pleased to see that some of the books banned are part of our high school curriculum including : To Kill a Mockingbird, a Separate Peace, Ordinary People, The Great Gatsby

And did I see On the Banks of Plum Creek on that list? Roald Dahl, Judy Blume, SE Hinton; my whole childhood reading is on this list. I'm joining the challenge and hope to read six books by the end of June. It will probably end up being more, because there are a few books on that list I was planning to read anyway.

Two of my favorite books of all time, Pillars of the Earth and Stones in the River both make the list. my books

So go see the site, and read some great books.

2 comments:

  1. OH MY GOSH! I had seen the challenge, but hadn't looked at the list. Every book you named seems to fall into my "favorites" list. What in the heck? I'm going to have to take a look at that list!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just ran across this post and decided to invite you to join our "timeless" Banned Books project ... in other words, there is no deadline to reading and reviewing banned books. Here's the blog:
    http://bannedbookschallenge.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting, so nice of you to visit.

(I'll try without the letters for a while - so please dont be a spammer! Let's try no anonymous users)