Saturday, October 16, 2010

BOOK: Miss Pettigrew Lives For a Day by Winifred Watson

Miss Pettigrew Lives For a Day by Winifred Watson, 234 pages

Typically British Challenge; 1001 Books to Read

I declare this the year of the Pettigrews! Two of the best books I've read are about Pettigrews - first the Major and now the Miss. There is a movie, which looks delightful.

Miss Pettigrew is on her last chance and ends up spending the day with an actress who lives a much freer, amazing life than she has ever known or approved of. And yet, the things she sees change her life. It was so much fun to watch her embrace her day, and I enjoyed myself as much as her.

It's light, it's fluffy, it's adorable, it's how people should treat each other, being kind to each other. Sure, it's a bit predictable and old-fashioned, but some days that's a lot of fun to read.  I'll be suggesting this one to everyone I know. Who wouldn't adore Miss Pettigrew?

also reviewed:
joanna at lost in a good story;  nan at letters from a hillfarm;

7 comments:

  1. She's great, isn't she? Who would even think of doing that today, just tag along on someone's very different day? Charming. I must read about the other Pettigrew, so many people loved that one too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is light and fluffy and terrific fun, isn't it? I haven't read the other one, but like Nan, I intend to.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This has been on my list for a while, I must get to it, especially now that it has your stamp of approval! I should read the other Pettigrew, too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. also comments that got lost from:

    buried in print: I absolutely love this novel, too. The audio version (read by Frances McDormand) is also charming. So it took me forever to watch the film, thinking that it couldn't possibly "stand up" as well: but, no, it's lovely, too!

    pam: Oh, this sounds like exactly what I am in the mood for!!!

    sprite: I echo BuriedInPrint in recommending the movie. I haven't read the book yet, but it's on my list.

    ReplyDelete
  5. joanna - I've already passed in on to two other people. You must read Major Pettigrew - he's just as delightful.

    jenclair - light and fluffy can be such an uplifting read. The other Pettigrew has the same sort of feel, but not quite as light and fluffy.

    tiny ll - you'll fly through Miss Pettigrew - because it's short and because you'll want to keep reading. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm beguiled by the cover art.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I gobbled this one up! Absolutely delightful. The movie is adorable, too!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting, so nice of you to visit.

(I'll try without the letters for a while - so please dont be a spammer! Let's try no anonymous users)