Saturday, November 19, 2011

MEME: One Book, Two Book, Three Book again

It's time to rejoice with the revival of the One Book, Two Book, Three Book meme originated  by Simon at Stuck in a Book.

 
1. The books I’m currently reading: The Man Who Went Up in Smoke by Maj Sjowell and Per Wahoo. This is second in the Martin Beck series, written in the 1960s by the Swedish couple. This terrific police procedural was the first of the Swedish crime novels, long before that Girl Who ... became famous.

2. The last book I finished: The Uncoupling by Meg Wolwizer. Somewhere, months ago, someone on the blogs raved about this. I requested it at the library and it took for-ev-eeer to arrive. But I got it read, and it was good.
ETA: found it. Aths at Reading on a Rainy Day reviewed The Uncoupling. She wrote a great review; pretty much my opinion as well.
Also, Softdrink at Fizzy Thoughts reviewed it here and Carrie at Nomadreader reviewed it here.
So, three reviews within a couple of weeks in June made it catch my attention, and then it took 4 months to get it from the library.

3. The next book I want to read: Tide Road by Valerie Compton (a PEI book!) or Small Ceremonies by Carol Shields.

4. The last book I bought: There was a little "hall book sale" at school for library week, so I bought Someone Like You by Sarah Dessen from a student who had a whole table of books she 'read over the summer'; and The Fire Dwellers by Margaret Laurence and Lives of Girls and Women by Alice Munro and The Morningside World of Stuart McLean from the library as they weeded out some older books. I'm a good little Canadian!

5. The last book I was given: A dear friend, who retired last year so I don't see her so often, dropped off The Way We Were by Marcia Willet and Beautiful People by Wendy Holden. The note she left with them said to 'enjoy, and pass on.'

It's also time for the sign-ups for the Advent Tour! I've already got my date assigned - go sign up here. It is a great way to share holiday traditions, have some fun, and meet a ton a new people. Marg and Kailana are the wonderful hosts.