Friday, April 20, 2012

BOOK: A Trick of the Light by Louise Penny

A Trick of the Light by Louise Penny, 339 pages

Canadian Book Challenge 5 (book 7 in the series)

I am often conflicted as I begin the Inspector Gamache books, because part of Louse Penny's style drives me nuts. The reflection. 'Should she?' The analysis of every eye blink, 'she thought she noticed a glimpse of apprehension in his face as he turned around', takes me right out of the story. Then, as the story progresses, I notice it less, and usually suddenly I am caught in the plot and not worrying so much about the writing. The good news with ATrick of the Light is I got absorbed in the story even earlier than usual, and enjoyed this one probably the most of all the series.

Another death in Three Pines brings Armand Gamache and Jean-Guy Beauviour and the Surete homicide team to investigate the murder of someone in the flower bed of Clara Morrow, one of the main characters in Three Pines. Clara has just had the opening of her solo art show, and at the party afterward, which brought many of the Montreal art scene to Three Pines, the murder occured. I liked that most of the novel takes place in Three Pines, with Myrna, Ruth, Gabriel and Olivier, all the wonderful characters who appear in nearly every book. None of the characters are perfect; all have flaws that make them seem real.  I particularly liked how Jean-Guy is developing a friendship with Ruth the alcoholic poet, and his story after the 'incident' in the factory and his subsequent drug use, is the story I am most interested in. I'm looking forward to reading more about his story.

This cosy mystery has been nominated for an Agatha Award for best novel, (winner to be announced April 28) and the next in the series, A Beautiful Mystery, will be released in early fall this year.

also reviewed: suziqOregon at whimpulsive; kerri at mysteries in paradise; literary feline at musings of a bookish kitty;