Friday, August 10, 2012

BOOK: Revenge of the Spellmans by Lisa Lutz

Revenge of the Spellmans by Lisa Lutz, 374 pages

series goals

Every time I read a Spellmans's book, I remind myself to read these more often. So much fun! Isabelle is attending her second set of court ordered therapy, living in her brother's basement without his knowledge (except someone knows and is blackmailing her), and has been given an ultimatum regarding taking over the family business. She seems a little thrown by the changes that are happening around her - Morty, her geriatric lawyer may be moving to Florida, Milo the bar owner doesn't want her working for him anymore, and Henry is dating the delightful Maggie. Izzy's life is a bit of a mess.

I just adore Lutz's humour. Her book Heads You Lose was beyond hilarious, and the asides and footnotes in the Spellman's keep me giggling. Every time Izzy references a past situation from the previous book (now available in paperback!) is included in the footnote. I read this book wondering if it was Isabelle who was just immature and paranoid and causing all the trouble, but no, the whole family is wonderfully dysfunctional.

Reading this book is part of my series goal this year, to get caught up on a some series' that I am reading. I still have two more Spellman's to read, but the second one just came out this year. These books are like popcorn - yummy and tasty and I gobble them down.