Thursday, December 3, 2015

#AMonthofFaves: Favourite Things of 2015

amonthoffaveshome

What's up today for #AMonthofFaves? Today we are talking about our Favourite Things from 2015.  Favourite things to eat, drink, wear, smell, see, do, enjoy, best thing I bought, most used gift received etc, favorite concert, outdoor activity, place visited, most squee worthy moment of the year, biggest change. I don't imagine I'll do every prompt from the month, but when it catches my eye,....

Join hosts  GirlxoxoTraveling with T and Estella’s Revenge in looking back at the year that was, sharing your favs.  Check out the Event Schedule.



Activity: I guess 2015 was the year of graduations around here - June involved a grade 12, grade 9, and grade 6 graduation as everyone moved on to a new school for the fall. Proms, semis, and ceremonies over a two week period kept us all hopping.







 Food: My fifteen year old daughter discovered that she liked fish and chips from restaurants. We spend much of the summer eating out and sharing a fish and chips. Keep in mind, we live on the east coast of Canada, so we get lots of fish and chips options. It was delicious and fun!


 

Event: I started looking forward to the 2015 Art in the Open as soon as last year's ended. In 2014, I happened upon this outdoor festival one evening in downtown Charlottetown. Wandering around downtown and discovering art installations of all kinds, plus the Crow Parade, was so cool. [Crow Parade - people dress in their best crow costumes, lots of kids, and walk together, cawing and cawing, from city center to Victoria Park, returning at dusk just like all the crows in Charlottetown return to sleep at the park. Awesome!] I vowed to be more aware this year, and was able to partake in so much more of it. It only runs from 4-midnight so you have to be organized to see all you want to see. I really think the Crow Parade is the highlight for me, but tramping through the woods at Victoria Park at night and finding a blanket tent, or a whole bunch of keyboards playing low, creepy tones, or the car loaded on the crane over the dinner for two, was so much fun.

Wear: I got a new sweater jacket from LL Bean to get me through the fall sport season. Two field hockey players makes for plenty of cool late afternoons. I liked that it was knit, long and had a hood. As the fall has been mild, it is even doing well for those ringette games at the rink, as long as I have mitts, hat and warm boots.


 See: I started watching The Great British Bake-Off on PBS during the winter and then proceeded to watch all the seasons on youtube That lead to me learning to make pastry and try some tarts and pies. No soggy bottoms!






 Visit: A big change around my house was that oldest son went off to university in Cape Breton. On the map, PEI and CB are pretty close, but going from one island to another is actually about a 7 hour drive. We've made two trips to Cape Breton - one to drop him off in the summer, and one in October to watch his basketball team in their Tip Off Tournament. I hadn't been to Cape Breton in years. We didn't get much sight-seeing done, but the fall drive was beautiful. We have 4 more years of visits to Cape Breton - hopefully I'll meet up with Chrisbookarama on one of my trips.




Favourite time: Summer is my most favourite time. As a teacher, I am not working. I slow right down, spend time at the cottage I share with my sister (watching tennis to start and end the summer), going the to pool with my youngest - she swims, I read; just enjoying the sun. Family get togethers (43rd Annual McNally Golf Tournament), soccer games in the early evening, beach days on PEI, living in sandals, shorts, and tanks, Happy hour every night, great bbq food, fresh strawberries and raspberries.