Tuesday, January 2, 2018

TOP TEN TUESDAY: Favourite New Authors from 2017

This week's theme from The Broke and the Bookish people is Favourite New Authors from 2017. I like these end of year type lists, especially when they are in January so I can include the full year. Lots of great new authors this year, some I read more than one after starting, some I will definitely read more of. Any of your favourites here?


Daphne duMaurier   
The House on the Strand 

Candace Savage      
Crows: Encounters With the Wise Guys of the Avian World - 

Jeanne Birdsall
The Penderwicks: A Summer Tale of Four Sisters, Two Rabbits, and One Very Interesting Boy

Elena Ferrante   
My Brilliant Friend

Ed Yong    
I Contain Multitudes: The Microbes Within Us and a Grander View of Life 
Caitlin Moran   
How to Be a Woman

Atul Gawande   
Complications: A Surgeon's Notes on an Imperfect Science

Hope Jahren    
Lab Girl

Jess Walter     
Citizen Vince and Beautiful Ruins

Al Franken    
Lies and the Lying Liars Who Tell Them

7 comments:

  1. I will read Daphne duMaurier one of these days. Maybe this year. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Some missed comments:
    from sprite:
    Do the recent allegations about Franken affect your opinion of his book at all? I'd wanted to read it, but I'm disappointed in his behavior (and thus him).
    my reply:
    I was conflicted about adding him to this list because of the allegations. I went with Franken based on how much I enjoyed the book at the time and the fact I’d still read a book by him.
    After seeing your list, I realize I forgot Jeanne Atkins from Finding Wonder, one of my favourite books of the year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. from Kailana:
    Daphne duMaurier was definitely on my list the first year I read her. I have not read that one yet, though. I feel I may have it. I should check!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kelly, great to see you! I don't know if I'd start with this one by duMaurier. I'm sure more known ones are better.

      Delete
  5. I've read a few books from du Maurier though Rebecca will always be my favorite. Her short stories - especially The Birds - are amazing. I really want to rad Lab Girl. I'm hoping to get that on the list for this year.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've only read Rebecca, but a customer at work gave me her copy of The House on the Strand before I moved and I just added it to my Classics Club list (about 5 minutes before I read your post!) to read this year. Hope it's as good as I've heard!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting, so nice of you to visit.

(I'll try without the letters for a while - so please dont be a spammer! Let's try no anonymous users)