Monday, November 12, 2018

NONFICTION NOVEMBER: Be the Expert





Week 3: (Nov. 12 to 16) – Be The Expert/Ask the Expert/Become the Expert (Julie @ JulzReads): Three ways to join in this week! You can either share three or more books on a single topic that you have read and can recommend (be the expert), you can put the call out for good nonfiction on a specific topic that you have been dying to read (ask the expert), or you can create your own list of books on a topic that you’d like to read (become the expert).



I'm going with option  1 and 3 - a list of books on a topic I've read and I'd like to read and become the expert. Would you believe I've chosen Mathematics?

I found three books I've already read, and then looked around. I found a bunch more on this topic that I'd like to explore and read, and had to limit myself to the ones I have listed. 

Have you read any of these? Any you would recommend? Sorry if I've put you off with my geekiness.

Mathematics


Weapons of Math Destruction by Cathy O'Neil



The Calculus Diaries by Jennifer Oullette


The Number Devil: A Mathematical Adventure by Hans Magnus Enzenberger

And the books that look interesting....


Love & Math: The Heart of Hidden Reality
 by Edward Frenkel


The Indisputable Existence of Santa Claus: The Mathematics of Christmas
by Dr Hannah Fry and Dr Michael Oleron Evans


The Mathematics of Everyday Life
by Alfred S Posamethier



The Drunkard's Walk: How Randomness Rules Our Lives
by Leonard Mlodinow


A Beautiful Mind: The Life of Mathematical Genius and Nobel Laureate John Nash
by Sylvia Nasar


Chaos: Making a New Science
by James Gleick


Our Days are Numbered: How Mathematics Orders Our Lives
by Jason Brown