Tuesday, February 1, 2022

TOP TEN TUESDAY: Books with Name/Characters in the Title


Half of these are titles I've read in January, and the other half are books I hope to read soon. For more posts, and future ideas, visit That Artsy Reader Girl.




Miss Moriarty I Presume? by Sherry Thomas
Wonderful play on all the Arthur Conan Doyle characters in this series. Charlotte Holmes is the best in this sixth book in the series.



My Plain Jane by Cynthia Hand
This was a hoot! Jane is of course Jane Eyre, and this is a retelling, but also reinvented as Jane is a chum of Charlotte Bronte at school, and they are involved with the Society for Relocation of Spirits. There is a lot the same, and a lot that is not but it is all fun. There are more Janie books - Lady Jane and CalamityJane. Expect to hear more about them this year from me.


From the Mixed-Up Files of Mrs Basil E Frankweiler by EL Konigsburg
Quick read of a classic children's book.


Flora & Ulysses by Kate DiCamillo
I've been wanting another DiCamillo book with the magic of The Tale of Despereaux. This one isn't quite it, but it was a good children's book about friendship.


Jonny Appleseed by Joshua Whitehead
I picked this one because it was the top borrowed audiobook from my library and in this season of Truth and Reconciliation, it was a good book to read. A little graphic, as the main character is a cyber-sex worker, but by the end I liked it more as Jonny tells about his childhood. 


What Alice Forgot by Liane Moriarty
I'm already listening to this one, and Moriarty always tells a great tale. Alice so far has woken up after passing out at a gym, and she appears to have lost ten years. I'm just as confused as she is!


Washington Black by Esi Edugyan
I loved Half-Blood Blues, and Washington Black is a Canada Reads nominee this year.


Shuggie Bain by Douglas Stuart
I've had this on my Kindle app for a while, and I can't wait to read it. I sometimes like a heart-breaking book and this looks like one.


The Strange Journey of Alice Pendelbuty by Marc Levy
This is one of those free kindle books I got during World Book Week. I have no idea what it is about, but the cover sure is pretty.


The Mermaid and Mrs Hancock by Imogen Hermes Gowar
I got this book from my #TBTBSanta Lara. I've had my eye on this book since it made the 2018 Short List for the Women's Prize for Fiction. A little fantasy, and a little historical fiction.