Tuesday, March 8, 2022

TOP TEN TUESDAY: Books With Your Favorite Trope/Theme

 


Is retelling a trope or theme? It's going to be my theme today. A type of book I quite enjoy is the retelling of a classic story or a extension of the original story. Sometimes the writing of those old books can be a bit, dated? It's writing that doesn't match my brain. But the story is so good! So, reading the story in a new or modern take is something I generally like, and sometimes I like even better than the original. For other takes on this topic, visit That Artsy Reader Girl.



Pride and Prejudice

Bridget Jones Diary by Helen Fielding - The best, simply the best. I loved this long before I ever read P&P and if possible, the movies are even better.

Longbourne by Jo Baker - A retelling of P&P but from the servants point of view. 

next to try: Eligible by Curtis Sittenfeld


Jane Eyre

The Eyre Affair by Jasper Fforde - An alternate world where books are more real. Thursday Next is trying to stop the ending from Jane Eyre from changing. Like nothing you've every read!

The Wife Upstairs by Rachel Hawkins - Modern riff with which was a hoot. Lots of fun, lots of suspense and mystery. 

My Plain Jane by Cynthia Hand - What if Charlotte Bronte and Jane Eyre were friends at school? And Jane has to go become a governess at Thornfield? And maybe there are ghost hunters working for the king? Yeah, things take a turn, for the better! There are other books in this series about different Janes - Lady Jane Seymour, and Calamity Jane.


Anne of Green Gables

Marilla of Green Gables by Sarah McCoy - Loved this back story of Marilla as a young girl

Before Green Gables by Budge Wilson - This was the story of Anne before Green Gables. LM Montgomery gave lots of clues and hints of Anne's life before the Cuthberts. I remember bawling while reading this just because I knew what Anne would end up as and feeling so awful for her early life. Knowing the happy ending coming made it bearable.


Sherlock Holmes

A Study in Scarlet Women by Sherry Thomas - Here we have the female version of Sherlock Holmes which is very, very well done. 

I know there are other versions, like Laurie K King's Mary Russell series, but I only read the first one of that series. Also, many different movie/television adaptations. I particularly liked the Benedict Cumberbatch version, and House.

Charles Dickens

Olivia Twist by Lorie Langdon - Also a female version of the original, this is a YA version that was quite well done.

Dodger by Terry Pratchett  - Not a particular book, but Charles Dickens and Victorian London made for a fun YA read.

Others

When She Woke by Hilary Jordan  based on The Scarlet Letter - A hundred percent better than The Scarlet Letter, but I've never been a fan of the Puritans. This is a futuristic version.

to try: Rook by Sharon Cameron based on The Scarlet Pimpernell - I'm excited to read this retelling because I love The Scarlet Pimpernell. I only read the Scarlet Pimpernell when I was looking at the library for The Scarlet Letter and picked the 'wrong' book. Best mistake ever

If you have any more suggestions for retellings, let me know!