Monday, November 12, 2007

ETC: It's a Small World

How small of a world is it, you ask? Let me tell you a story.

Woo hoo! I won a book at The Book Mine Set this week, for answering the quiz about all the books that have been read so far. It was a really fun quiz, and I discovered a few new books to read. To top it off, I won Unsettled, a book of poetry, by Zachariah Wells. Yesterday, John Mutford emailed me to let me know, and to remind me to send my address so the book could be mailed to me. I remember thinking, Cool, john won't have to pay crazy postage since we are both in Canada. I sent my address off, and my thanks.

Today we are lounging around the house, enjoying the 'day in lieu of' Remembrance Day, recovering from the sleepover with a few ten year old boys last night, and I'm trying to get some blasted correcting done. A car pulls in the driveway, but it's not a parent coming to gather up their child.

It's Zachariah Wells. Delivering my book. To my house. He happened to be in Hunter River, (a little village about 15 minutes from Charlottetown) and figured it would be easier to drop off the book and save the postage. So he came in, signed the book for me, and left. I may not have been as polite as I could have, because the shock of it all sort of stunned me. So, I am sorry I didn't invite you in, but thank you so much for the book.
In typical Island fashion, I think I figured out who his father is, since Zachariah is originally from the Island, and it isn't that hard to pinpoint family names. It's a fun game we play here. So, how many published authors came to visit you today?

11 comments:

  1. No problem, Elizabeth, I had errands to run, anyway! Ah, the who's-yer-father game...my dad's Andy. Hope you enjoy the book some.

    Zach

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is all too funny. I got an email late last night from him saying he was just going to hand deliver it. First I thought "how wild is that?!" and only later did I think that maybe I should give you the heads up. Anyway, hope it wasn't too disorienting! Looks like you've got a pretty cool story to tell from it though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh what a story! That's too funny.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Zach - my parents stopped by after, and I was showing them the book and telling the story. My dad said he worked with your dad at Highways? If it's the same guy we thought. Only on PEI.

    john - I survived :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. How neat! I would probably have reacted the same way. LOL

    Not that there's any chance of that happening to me, but it makes me want to make sure my house is clean at all times. Just in case. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's really awesome. I would have been utterly speechless.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yep, my dad used to be Deputy Minister of Transportation and Public Works. Same guy. Who's your father, Elizabeth?

    ReplyDelete
  8. zachariah - my dad is Foch. Not a common name.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a cool thing to have happen to you - both winning the book and having the author hand deliver it. Great memory.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What fun! Only in Canada, eh?? and this will confuse people who don't know Canada even more, thinking how small a country we must be,when it's the opposite! So your story is even more wonderful! I hope you enjoy the book! congratulations on winning the trivia hunt too.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting, so nice of you to visit.

(I'll try without the letters for a while - so please dont be a spammer! Let's try no anonymous users)