Thursday, November 29, 2007

MEME: Booking Through Thursday

Do you get on a roll when you read, so that one book leads to the next, which leads to the next, and so on and so on?
I don’t so much mean something like reading a series from beginning to end, but, say, a string of books that all take place in Paris. Or that have anthropologists as the main character. Or were written in the same year. Something like that… Something that strings them together in your head, and yet, otherwise could be different genres, different authors…

I don't read books that have any noticeable theme. Sometimes I will try to read a series from the start, but I find I need to take a break from the same characters one after the other.

It may not be planned, but I think I automatically find connections from one book to the next, even if those connections might only be in my head. Or two books might not be one after the other, but in some way in my head, I find parallels. For example, I read Tomorrow by Graham Swift and On Chesil Beach by Ian McEwen and I certainly tied them together in my head. I think because I read them close together they seemed similar.

One of the first Booking Through Thursdays that I participated in was like this: connect 5 books on your bookshelf, one after the other, by some means that makes sense to you. It was really fun, and we should do it again! I did mine here a while ago.

3 comments:

  1. That would be a fun theme to revisit...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think there may be common threads between some of my reading choices that I don't even know about. :-) I do sometimes get on a roll with the types of books I read, be it the kind of book, a series, or a common theme. I generally like to mix things up as I go though to avoid getting tired of a subject too fast.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I get caught up in one author fairly often. It's not deliberate, but often if I read a book I haven't read for a while, I want more of the same author, and I'll end up reading all I have.

    On the other hand, sometimes when I've really enjoyed something I'm almost at a loss for what to follow it with. (Not for long, but usually I know instantly what I want to read next.)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting, so nice of you to visit.

(I'll try without the letters for a while - so please dont be a spammer! Let's try no anonymous users)