Thursday, April 5, 2007

LIST: Books to read

I went on a little spell recently, book buying. It's such a bad habit and I've been trying to use the library a lot more. But when I want to read a book, I want it RIGHT NOW, and some of the books in the library have to come throught interlibrary loan, so they take a week or two. I know, I have enough books that I should be able to read another one instead, but I get impulsive. My school library is great to borrow books from, because teachers can take out books and they never get overdue. Additionally, our librarian is wonderful as most librarians are, and she orders books for the teachers too, or she lets the teachers get the new great books first. She's fabulous!

So, what have I indulged in lately, added to the ever growing books to be read list?
1. In the Company of the Courtesan by Sarah Dunant
I needed another book on an Amazon order of gameboy games to get the free shipping, and this fit the bill. I loved her Birth of Venus book and have been waiting to get my hands on this one.
2. The Giver by Lois Lowry Finished
Second hand book store, and I got this because I saw it on some lists of favorite books, and it's on the banned book list.
3. Bloodletting and Miraculous Cures by Vincent Lam
Another amazon order from a while ago; I've had good luck reading Giller prize winners.
4. Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte
At an Indigo visit, I found this for 4.99, a reissue of classic stories. I plan to read this for the first time, as it is on so many best books list and I hate to feel I'm missing out on something.
5. Arthur and George by Julian Barnes
Second hand book store find. The NYT Notable book list challengers are reading this
6. The Plague by Albert Camus
I read The Stranger recently and quite enjoyed it. I'm not sure why I enjoyed it, but I just did. This will fit as a Reading Across Borders book; it's set in Algeria
7. Gods and Monsters by Christopher Bram
Another sale book at amazon, used to fill in an order.
8. The Princess of Burundi
9. The Translator
10. The Other Boleyn Girl Finished
The last three are arriving from amazon very soon. I had the Boleyn book from the library, but I didn't get to it in time and they wouldn't let me renew it because someone requested it. So I ordered in instead. Sometimes the pressure of the due date makes it hard to read.
I'll fit these in between library reads.