Thursday, August 21, 2008

BOOK: Flying Too High by Kerry Greenwood

Flying Too High by Kerry Greenwood
A Phryne Fisher mystery

After reading Marg's review last week, I decided to try a Phryne Fisher mystery from my library. I couldn't find the first in the series, but number two was available and at only 156 pages, I knew I could fly through it.

Wouldn't it be cool to have lived in the 1920s? Women seemed to have a lot more freedom than they did in later years. Phryne Fisher is an independent woman with money who does what she wants, which includes seducing young men, and flying planes. She is establishing herself as a private investigator in Melbourne and having a great time. Here she looks into the murder of a cruel man, trying to clear his son of the murder and at the same time, tries to find a kidnapped child.

It was a cute little mystery, with a strong female lead that puts me to mind of Agatha Christie, just like Marg mentioned in her review.

9 comments:

  1. I think you would find that women with money had more freedom in the 1920s, but that the vast majority did not. Remember, they've only just earned the right to vote in 1920.

    -sprite
    spritewrites.net

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want to read her but seems to me I couldn't easily find the first book either. I really need to start going to the library again...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so glad that you enjoyed this!

    Sprite, you are right about the women with money having money - Phryne definitely fits into that category, but the author doesn't forget to show the other side either at times.

    ReplyDelete
  4. sprite - I realize that it was easier with money to have freedom, and Phryne has paid help, so those ladies obviously don't have the great life like her. Just in general, it seems that after getting the vote and WW1, things regressed after the second world war for women.

    kaliana - I didn't have any problem jumping in at the second book. Go check the library...

    marg - thanks for the rec. My library only has two more books in the series.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This sounds interesting and I'm off to figure out the title to the 1st book in this series.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The first book is called Cocaine Blues.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I enjoyed the few Phyrne Fisher novels I've read, your review has reminded me I should catch up with the series so thanks.

    The increasing freedom of women in the '20s is an interesting topic. I should point out though that in Australia (where this is set) women could vote in state and federal elections by 1902 (and in some states ie SA had been voting since 1894).

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have never heard of this series but your review has piqued my interest. Have you read the Maisie Dobbs series? I have eaten that series up.
    *smiles*
    Kim

    ReplyDelete
  9. I hadn't heard of these but they look like good fun! And I always think there's just something about the 20's, definitely...

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting, so nice of you to visit.

(I'll try without the letters for a while - so please dont be a spammer! Let's try no anonymous users)