Monday, December 28, 2009

CHALLENGE: Our Mutual Read


Hosted at the Our Mutual Read blog, check it out for more details.

(I haven't decided which level I am reading yet.)
Level 1 - 4 books, at least 2 written during 1837 - 1901. The other books may be Neo-Victorian or non-fiction
Level 2 - 8 books, at least 4 written during 1837 - 1901. The other books may be Neo-Victorian or non-fiction.

My pool of books written between 1837 - 1901
  • Cranford by Elizabeth Gaskell
  • The Woman in White by Wilkie Collins
  • something by Charles Dickens
  • Madame Bovary by Flaubert

My neo-Victorian pool of books
  • Bethlehem Road, a Thomas Pitt mystery by Anne Perry
  • Affinity, Sarah Waters
There are also some Mini-Challenges:
Period Film Mini-Challenge -- watch at least 6 films that take place between 1837 - 1901 (they don't necessarily have to be based on a book) and post a review.
  • Sherlock Holmes starring Robert Downing Jr and Jude Law (ok, I saw this on Dec 27, 2009, but I seldom go to the theatre to watch a movie, and this really got me into the mood to read more Victorian novels, so I am including it now)

Short Story Mini-Challenge -- read 12 short stories written or taking place between 1837 - 1901 and post a review
  1. My Dear Miss Fairfax - Nicola Slade found here
  2. The Death of Olivier Becaille - Emile Zola (written during 1837 - 1901)


Books Read:
1. The Woman in White - Wilkie Collins; Published 1860
2. Bethlehem Road - Anne Perry
3. Invincible Louisa - Cornelia Meigs (biography of Louisa May Alcott)
4. The Professor and the Madman - Simon Winchester (biography of the OED)
5. Cranford - Elizabeth Gaskell ; published 1853

2 comments:

  1. I so love Madame Bovary, The Woman in White (which I plan to reread this year) and something by Dickens. I've only read The Christmas Carol, The Tale of Two Cities, and Great Expectations, so I've quite a few more of his I need to read!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My Tough & Cool Inner Bookworm would be so pleased if I read nothing but books published 1837-1901.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting, so nice of you to visit.

(I'll try without the letters for a while - so please dont be a spammer! Let's try no anonymous users)