Tuesday, June 9, 2020

TOP TEN TUESDAY: Books I’ve Added to my TBR and Forgotten Why





The topic this week is Books I've Added to My TBR and Forgotten Why. I went to my Librarything account where I've added all the books I've bought over the years, starting in 2007 when I joined LT. There are more books there than the ten I have listed here. I changed my list a bit - these aren't one I've forgotten why. There were books that I can't remember why I bought, but the ones I've listed here today are ones I still want to read, and may turn into an unofficial Summer TBR list! 

For more posts on this topic, and for future lists, head over to That Artsy Reader Girl, host of this great weekly meme.




Oryx and Crake 
Margaret Atwood
I've actually read the next 2 books in this series, so there is no reason why I haven't read this. My son even had it on his reading list for a science fiction English course he took this year. (I'm pretty sure he didn't read this one. Funny story - as he's telling me the reading list for the course, 6 or 7 novels, he says - we won't have to read all these books. Oh, was he surprised to see what happens in a university English course!)



The Wheel on the School
Meindert deJong pictures by Maurice Sendak
Newbery Winner 1955
It's not even a long book! 


The Elegant Universe 
Brian Greene
A grand ole physics book about String Theory. I've read the counter argument book - The Trouble with Physics against String Theory. This is so old now, it's actually probably historical.


The Last King of Scotland
Giles Foden
It was a movie in 2006 which is probably when I picked up the book. Haven't seen the movie yet either.  


Say You're One of Them
Uwem Akpen
A collection of short stories, set in Africa. I think I've read a few of the stories but I definitely didn't finish it.


Dewey Decimal System of Love
Josephine Carr
Looks like a cute chick-lit type of book. Related to books? 


The Well of Lost Plots
Jasper Fforde
I read the first two in the Thursday Next series in 2008! And never continued. I've read other Fforde books since and am always impressed with their humour and plotting. 


The Land of Spices
Kate O'Brien
Some of the people I met on LT were into the Virago Modern Classics, reprints of old books by forgotten women writers. They have a lovely dark green edging which makes them easy to spot at books sales. I picked up a few but never got into reading them. These are probably the books that would be on the Women's Prize for Fiction list back in the day.


Beatrice and Virgil
Yann Martel
One of the tags of I have on this book is 'from wendycat' and I entered it in 2010. Wendy - I still haven't read this book! 


The Blythes are Quoted
LM Montgomery
I remember wanting this for Christmas in 2009, and getting it. It is so very pretty, and I have it on a display of my Anne of Green Gables figurines (I'll post a picture some day) but I never got into this last published book by Maud. I believe it is more akin to Olive Kitteridge - a series of short stories, but all contain to varying degrees, the Blythe family. 


I have to say, after writing about all these books I am quite excited to dig into some of these books. Have you read any of these books? Which ones should I bump to the top of this very old pile of books?