Thursday, July 23, 2009

BOOK: Twenties Girl by Sophie Kinsella

Twenties Girl by Sophie Kinsella, 435 pages

published in '09 (released July 21 in Canada)

Kinsella is getting better and better. I enjoyed her Shopaholic series, but Becky could be a little ridiculous, amusing but silly. I've enjoyed her stand alones even more - Undomestic Goddess, Remember Me? and now Twenties Girl may be the best of them.

This is a ghost story of sorts, as Lara Lington discovers her 105 year old great-aunt Sadie appears to her at her funeral. Sadie wants to find her missing necklace before she will be at rest, and Lara must deal with Sadie and her demands. Lara is a twenty-something Londoner, in over her head with a fledgling business, started with her best mate who has taken off, leaving Lara to try and operate in the business world.

There are boys - good and bad, rich family members and a bit of a mystery with the necklace. I had a great romp with Lara as she learns to make friends with her great aunt, finds the right guy and rights a family wrong. Sadie was quite the chick, remembering her fun days as a girl in the 1920s and making Lara relive some of her glory days. Sadie provides some very funny situations, as only Lara can see and hear her and Sadie can be rather demanding at times. Sadie makes Lara ask out a guy so she can go dancing with him, then snuggles up, with Lara to the guy. There is great potential for a funny movie here.

I laughed out loud, I was touched by the bitter sweet ending, and was charmed by the love story. Kinsella is really hitting her stride as I find each new character a bit more realistic. The book is fun, and light, and predictable in the way that makes it fun to read, because I want it to turn out the way it does. I don't read a lot of chick lit, but I have to think Kinsella is the master.

13 comments:

  1. This sounds like a really good read and is the first I had heard about this book. I will definitely be requesting this one from the library so thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm about halfway through this book right now and enjoying it a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  3. sam - get your request in, it was really good

    katherine - isn't it cute? I read it so fast, I couldn't put it down.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I enjoy her stand alones too. Remember Me was great. I will have to put this one on the TBR list -- thanks for the great review.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the great review. I'm a big SK fan, and this sounds wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love Sophie Kinsella books, but I was worried about her tackling something historical. Glad to read your review! Will have to pick this one up!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can't believe I've yet to read anything by Sophie Kinsella. Her books sound fun but this one really has to go on my list - a ghost, the roaring 20s, oh my! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. jess - I think you'll enjoy this one

    nan- your welcome!

    jill - it's set in present day, just the ghost is from the 20s, so don't worry.

    iliana - Kinsella is a nice light, escapism read. Give her a try.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This sounds cute. I got rather tired of the shopaholic series after a couple.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I went through a huge Chick Lit phase a few years ago. I always liked Sophie Kinsella, though I think I like her stand-alones better than the Shopaholics too. (I really enjoyed the stuff she wrote under her own name, Madeleine Wickham too.)

    I definitely want to read this one!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh I'm so happy to read that this is good! I love Kinsella and am always worried that her new books won't be as good as I expect them to be! I love the Shopaholic series, but that's because (sadly) I can identify with Becky. :-) I also loved The Undomestic Goddess. Can't wait to get this now!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have this one too. I can't wait to read it now!

    ReplyDelete
  13. pam - I liked the last shopaholic book better than some of the middle ones, but this is even better.

    stephanie - I only recently learned that she wrote under another name, but I haven't read any yet. I must go check the library.

    joanna - I never understood Becky, but I have a friend that said she was just like Becky. It flabbergasted me, but I still find her amusing. I liked the Undomestic Goddess too.

    chris - It's just really cute, I hope you enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting, so nice of you to visit.

(I'll try without the letters for a while - so please dont be a spammer! Let's try no anonymous users)