Wednesday, April 28, 2010

BOOK: Maisie Dobbs by Jacqueline Winspear

Maisie Dobbs by Jacqueline Winspear, 292 pages

Historical Mysteries; 4 Month Challenge: Proper name in title; 30s Mini-Challenge(it's set in 1929, but has the spirit of the 1930s)

I've been slow to jump on the Maisie Dobbs train, and I am of two minds. On the one hand, I've been missing this wonderful character and beautiful writing. On the other hand, there are seven more books in the series to discover, so I have that to look forward to.

Maisie Dobbs, a female private investigator slash psychologist, sets up shop in 1929 London. The mystery was slight in this first novel, as much time was spent on the back story of Maisie as a child, and during her time in World War I in France. But the mystery tied in with the flashbacks, and I was on the edge of my seat at one moment. Maisie had a most unique educational experience, and she is as much a psychologist as an investigator. Just a delightful novel all around.