Wednesday, November 28, 2007

UPDATE: NaNoBloMo

Well, I tried. I didn't officially sign up for this, because I didn't want the pressure of people knowing I was trying to post something every, single day. Same way I quit smoking years ago, I didn't admit that was what I was doing, I just wasn't smoking as much. Same with posting. I didn't announce it, but here I was, blogging everyday. And then, November 23rd. It was a great day, but busy. And I knew I'd be busy, and yet completely forgot to prepare a post. Boo, me.


We had a family wedding on Friday night at 7pm, and I worked all day, and got my hair done (straightened) and then we hosted a little happy hour to get some food in our bellies* before the wedding. And the computer just got ignored.


We had a wonderful time on Friday night, and then that caused Saturday to be a complete write off, as the four of us - me, my sister and our husbands, could barely summon the energy to eat, let alone look after our kids. That's how great cousin memories are developed - the parents are having too much fun to pay any attention to the kids. And then I didn't blog on Saturday either, since I'd already lost my mojo.


Reading update:



The books I want to finish before the end of the year and the actual number of days and my reading rate seem to be an inverse function right now, see graph on left. I made a list of books I really want to finish, in some sort of priority order:



  • Lolita by Nabokov, reading now
  • Irish Christmas Stories by John B Keane, reading now
  • The Plague by Camus
  • Mercy by Jodi Picoult
  • Another Christmas book: The Cricket on the Hearth
  • A Prayer for Owen Meany by John Irving
  • Lisey's Story by King
  • Special Topics in Calamity Physics
I average about 8 books a month, but some of these are whoppers. But good books, really good reads, never seem that long. Here's hoping some of these are excellent.




* my brother in law thought we should go out to eat at a restaurant before the wedding since there wouldn't be a sit down meal. I surmised that the h'or derv's served at the fancy hotel reception would be substantial enough if we ate some snacks before we went. He was leery, and it would have been on me if he didn't get enough to eat. Thank goodness they brought around trays with bacon wrapped scallops, among other food. I was right, and I told him so.

4 comments:

  1. I missed out on Saturday and Sunday. The wedding just wiped me out.

    Quitting smoking, NaBloPoMo, dieting--if you don't tell people, they won't know when you failed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're still doing well! I think a wedding would make me miss too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. There are some really great reads on your list! Even if you don't finish your goal, you'll have a great month of reading.

    ReplyDelete
  4. ctoan - but the wedding was so much fun, it was worth it.

    chris - you'll make it

    dewey - that's my problem - there are so many great books to read. And it should be a good month.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting, so nice of you to visit.

(I'll try without the letters for a while - so please dont be a spammer! Let's try no anonymous users)