Monday, December 15, 2008

CHALLENGE: Dewey's Books



Dewey had such good taste in books, and I kept wanting to read books she reviewed. Except the knititng books. I'm not much of a knitter. Chris and Robin are hosting a reading challenge occuring for next year, picking books from Dewey's archive, and some mini challenges coming up as well associated with the challenge and drawing on Dewey's community building. Check out the challenge blog for all the details.

There are two options:

1. Pick one book from each of the 6 years that Dewey has archives of. You can access her archives by clicking on the archive link in the sidebar of her website. It’s a dropdown menu. For instance, you would read one book that she reviewed in 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, and 2008 for a total of six books.
2. The other option is to read 5 books that Dewey reviewed. These can be from any year and I’m guessing that each of us has at least 5 books on our TBR list because of Dewey!

I was going to look at the past years, but before I finished reading her books from 2008 I already had a good list. I'll pick option 2 and read at least 5 of these, linked to dewey's reviews:


If a Tree Falls at Lunch Period by Gennifer Choldenko
I Am the Cheese by Robert Cormier
Remembering the Bones by Frances Itapi : my review here Feb 28/09
Looking for Alaska by John Green: my review here Mar 21/09
An Abundance of Katherines by John Green: my review here Mar 7/09
The Book of Lost Things by John Connolly
Animal, Vegetable, Miracle by Barbara Kingsolver: my review here Apr 25/09
After Dark by Haruki Murakami :my review here Dec 20/08
Just Listen by Sarah Dessen: my review here Mar 25/09
The Sister by Poppy Adams my review here June 30/09
How I Live Now by Meg Rosoff; my review here Nov 04/09

*edit (Nov 2009) The links aren't going to Dewey's site anymore. I can still read her reviews on my Google Reader if I search for them. It's harder then, to find the books that Dewey read and reviewed.*

plus books she didn't review, but read:

Paper Towns by John Green
The Abstinence Teacher by Tom Perrotta

and I might include The Elegance of the Hedgehog, her last currently reading book. reviewed here Aug 21/09

In the last year, Dewey and I read 8 books the same. Seeing her list was very familiar.


2 comments:

  1. Yeah, me and Dewey have a lot of books in common, which is good! I can clean off my TBR pile a bit with the challenge. I probably will end up buying a couple, of course, but I can pretend to be good. lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the list you put together! I've only read one of them and that's the Barbara Kingsolver book, so I'll be very interested in reading your reviews and learning more about the others. Thanks for joining us in this Challenge! By the way...even though you claim to be "not much of a knitter," there's going to be a Dewey-inspired knitting mini-challenge coming soon!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting, so nice of you to visit.

(I'll try without the letters for a while - so please dont be a spammer! Let's try no anonymous users)